“Winter is my soup season for sure!” I find myself making yummy soups almost every other day. Today’s recipe is special, as I was looking for a way to use butternut squash in a soup, without having to blend it. This soup has all the veggie goodness of a chowder, without the animal-based proteins. For this chowder, I used a plant-based, vegan spicy sausage for the meat. The other great thing about this soup recipe, is that you can choose to use all fresh vegetables, or all frozen organic veggies – it’s your choice! This soup is incredibly hardy, flavorful, and super filling. It makes great leftovers too! Here’s the recipe:
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 2-3 cups chopped white or red potatoes
- 16oz frozen, chopped butternut squash (or use fresh)
- 2 cups frozen, chopped spinach (or use fresh)
- 2 cups frozen, sweet corn (or use fresh)
- 1 cup ground vegan, plant-based breakfast sausage
- 1 container vegetable stock
- 2-3 cups water (or more as needed to cover veggies)
- Sea salt, ½ T to taste
- Onion powder, 2 tsp to taste
- Garlic powder, 2 tsp to taste
- Old Bay Seasoning, 2 tsp to taste
- Dried parsley, 1 T to taste
- Herb seasonings to taste
- 1 stick butter (vegan, non-dairy)
- 2 cups half and half plant-based, non-dairy creamer
How to Prepare:
Combine all ingredients, excluding creamer, in a large stock pot. Set heat on medium-high, and let cook to a slight boil, stirring occasionally. Once soup starts to reach a bowl, reduce heat to low, and add creamer. Stir well. Place a lid on top, leaving a slight gap for pressure to release. Let simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until veggies are tender. Remove from heat and serve. This recipe makes about 6 to 8 standard-sized, bowls of soup. Store in air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze.
Note: To save time, use a frozen French Mirepoix mix of chopped onions, carrots and celery. Also, replace fresh minced garlic, with prepared organic minced garlic from a jar.
With all the soups I have made, this is probably one of my all time favorites!!! Hope you give it a try.
Till next time.