About two years ago I was inspired by a co-workers Instagram post, where she featured her very first taste of a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich. It was such a mouth-watering photo image, I just had to have one for myself. So, I created this delicious vegan version of the sandwich, using my homemade Seitan Steaks. I used some vegan shredded mozzarella, and a slice of Malabari Paratha bread. You can always use another type of flat bread, or even a sub roll too. What makes the sandwich even more phenomenal is the addition of dark leafy, mixed greens that are slightly wilted. Yum-yum! “Is your mouth watering yet?” Here’s the full recipe, which makes 2 to 3 sandwiches:
- 1 prepared Seitan steak
- 1 cup fresh Cremini or white mushrooms
- ½ cup sweet yellow onion
- 4-5oz fresh dark leafy, mixed greens
- 2 T vegan mayonnaise
- 1-3 slices Malabari Paratha bread (or other flat bread or sub roll)
- ¼ – ½ cup shredded vegan mozzarella
- 1-2 T avocado oil or coconut oil
- Garlic powder to taste
- Dash sea salt
- To create my delicious rendition of this sandwich, prepare my recipe for homemade Seitan Steaks. Slice the steak thin. Set the slices aside while you prepare mushrooms, and sweet onion.
- Thinly slice fresh mushrooms, and the sweet yellow onion. Place with the slices of Seitan steak. Add a few drops of avocado oil, or coconut oil, to a hot pan. Place sliced ingredients into the hot pan, and toss. Add the garlic, sea salt, and any other spices, and toss a few more times in the pan.
- Continue to cook until the onions begin to wilt, and the shrooms become tender. Add in a couple of handfuls of fresh mixed greens and toss again. Remove from pan.
- Prepare the Malabari Paratha slices, by placing them on a large cookies sheet. Spread some vegan mayonnaise over top of each slice and spread equal amounts of vegan shredded mozzarella. You can add, depending upon your preference. Place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees, and heat for about 3 to 5 minutes, until vegan cheese begins to slightly melt.
Plating the Sandwiches:
Place each prepared Malabari Paratha slice on serving plates. Add heaping spoonsful of the prepared Seitan mixture from the pan. Garnish with a little more shredded vegan mozzarella and serve. This meal is super filling, and super delicious! Eating healthy and fancy makes it all the better!
Be sure to comment below if you try this recipe and share your experience. If you like this post, be sure to comment, and share on social media with your friends and family. Thanks for the support! Have a super day!